HOW TO START PRODUCING TRAP
Trap is a musical genre that originated in the 1990s in predominantly African American areas of the Southern United States, particularly in cities like Atlanta, Georgia.
Trap was inspired by hip hop music, crunk music, and southern rap, and began to gain popularity in the 2000s, thanks to artists like T.I. and Young Jeezy.
The term "trap" refers to the culture of crack houses, which were often used as bases for drug trafficking. Trap music often explores themes related to crime, life in poor neighborhoods, and economic struggles, and its style is characterized by heavy beats, powerful bass, and dark melodies.
Over the years, trap has become increasingly popular and has influenced various musical genres, becoming one of the main musical styles of contemporary hip hop culture
THE BEST TRAP ARTISTS
The trap music scene is filled with talented and influential artists who have contributed to the development and spread of the genre.
- T.I. is considered one of the pioneers of trap, with a career that began in the 2000s and that has influenced many future generations of artists.
- Young Jeezy was one of the first artists to bring trap to mainstream music scenes, and his unique and powerful style has inspired many other genre representatives. Gucci Mane, a prominent representative of Atlanta trap, has influenced many contemporary musical trends.
- Future made trap more accessible to the general public with his introspective melodic style and authentic lyrics.
- Migos, a trap artist trio, revolutionized the music scene with their unique club culture and radio hit style.
- Cardi B, a prominent female trap representative, has achieved huge success with her energetic and authentic tracks.
- Finally, Travis Scott brought trap to a completely new level with his unique combination of hip hop, trap, and psychedelic music.
These are just some of the most important artists in the trap music scene, each of whom has brought something unique and made trap one of the most influential and appreciated forms of musical expression
THE BEST TRAP MUSIC PRODUCERS
The trap music scene has a large number of talented producers who work behind the scenes to create the powerful beats on which artists express their message. Here are some of the major producers who have distinguished themselves in the production of beats for trap artists:
- Mike WiLL Made-It is known for his contribution to the trap music scene, working with artists such as Kendrick Lamar, Future, Rae Sremmurd, and 2 Chainz. His ability to create powerful and trend-setting beats has made his beats highly sought after.
- Zaytoven has collaborated with many of the biggest names in rap, including Gucci Mane, Usher, Lil Uzi Vert, and Tyga. His production is characterized by a funky and percussion-based sound that artists find very attractive.
- Metro Boomin has worked with some of the biggest names in rap, such as Drake, Future, 21 Savage, and Migos. His ability to create powerful, bass-heavy beats makes him one of the most influential and respected producers in the trap music scene.
- Southside has worked with artists such as Young Thug, Travis Scott, and Post Malone. His production is characterized by powerful beats and a fast-paced rhythm, which artists find perfect for their message.
- Pi'erre Bourne has collaborated with artists like Playboi Carti and Lil Uzi Vert. His unique and iconic production is recognizable by its melodic and percussive sound, which artists find very attractive.
- London on da Track has worked with artists such as Young Thug, Tyga, 21 Savage, and G-Eazy. His production is characterized by lively and rhythmic beats, which artists find perfect for their energy.
These are just a few of the most important and influential music producers who contribute to creating the powerful beats for trap artists. Each of them has a unique sound and has made their contribution to the trap music scene, making it one of the most innovative and influential forms of musical expression in the world.
WHAT ARE THE KEY ELEMENTS OF A TRAP SONG?
To create a good trap music production, there are some fundamental elements that must be considered.
- The beat is the most important element of this musical genre and must be powerful and relentless, typically characterized by heavy bass and driving drums.
- The flow and cadence of the rapper are also crucial, as they establish the rhythm and structure of the track. Trap artists are known for their fast and fluid flow that fits the speed of the beat.
- The trap lyrics are often introspective or dark, and describe life in tough neighborhoods or tell personal stories. These lyrics can create empathy with the audience, talking about personal challenges, struggle, and redemption. Trap often uses voice and sound samples to create a unique atmosphere, drawn from movies, television shows, conversations, or other audio sources.
- Production is another crucial element for trap, known for its sophistication that often uses sound effects, automation, and complex arrangements. These elements contribute to creating an intense and engaging sound experience, transporting the listener on a unique musical journey.
In the article "How to make a trap song" we show more details on the technical production and musical theory of a trap beat.
In summary, to create a good trap music production, it's important to find a balance between these elements and create a production that resonates with the audience and meets the artist's artistic needs. The combination of powerful beats, rapper flow and cadence, introspective lyrics, voice and sound samples, and sophisticated production can create an engaging and unforgettable musical experience
HOW TO START PRODUCING TRAP
"To produce Trap music, I recommend following these steps:
- Choose your music production software: There are many music production software options available on the market such as FL Studio, Ableton Live, Logic Pro X, among others. Choose the one you like the most and that best fits your needs.
- Create a drum base: The drumbeat is the heart of trap music. Choose the sounds you like the most and create a base that is powerful and engaging.
- Add the bass: Bass is another crucial element of trap music. Choose the sounds you like the best and create a bassline that seamlessly integrates with the drumbeat.
- Create melodies: Choose dark melodies that best fit your drum and bass base. You can use synthesizers or pre-recorded samples to create your melodies.
- Add effects and sfx: Add effects such as reverb, delay, and echo to emphasize your melodies and create a dark and engaging atmosphere.
- Mix and master: Once you have completed all of the previous steps, it is important to mix and master your track to make sure it sounds as professional as possible."